Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: All sorts of questions.... HELP!

MJM

Help All sorts of questions.... HELP!

Advertisements
    Brief background info: Okay, so, DF is taking terminal leave in a little less than a month. He officially is off active duty towards the end of February. DF has documented injuries since boot camp with his knee (5 years). DF was determined to have hearing loss at a recent visit and was fitted for a hearing aid, he now has said hearing aid. DF's home residence on his paperwork is Michigan, however, he will be moving in with me in SoCal and residing here permanently.

Question time!!

1) Knee injury and hearing loss - Will this constitute "disability"?

2) When do you find out about disability? Before his contract is up (before February) or after? If after, how long after?

3) If he does get disability, does that mean that he retains his military healthcare? How does the whole healthcare thing work when you get out of the military disability or not?

4) Hypothetically he is ruled to be partially disabled and gets to keep healthcare (since I THINK that's how it works). When we get married, can i go onto his healthcare plan or no?

5) I heard we get BAH while he is on terminal leave. Will he get it for Michigan, where his records state he lives, or SoCal?

6) Moving - I hear they help you move home when you get out? He does still need to move stuff home to Michigan and he actually will be picking stuff up in Michigan and moving it out here. How does this whole thing work?

Any advise would be MUCH appreciated
  2. Dez
    Destiny <3
    Destiny <3
    I wish I knew more to help you.

But, I'll
  3. Senior Member
    He definitely needs to talk the VA. Make sure that he gets a copy of his medical records. I didn't do that when I got out and I'm having to wait a while to have them sent to me so that I can fill out paperwork to get a disability rating from the VA. Another important person to get in touch with is your local veteran's assistance representative. For us here in Texas it's the Texas Veterans' Commission. My DH got discharged with a medical discharge so I don't know much about terminal and all that stuff (we only had 3 weeks notice before he got out). DH does get medical care through the VA, but it's only for him, not for me or our kids.
    We did get temporary medical benefits for 6 months under Tricare Standard, but I'm not sure if that's because he was medically discharged or not. I don't know about the moving thing because you guys aren't married yet. The person that he would need to talk to is DMO (not sure what it's called in all the branches, but that's what it is for the USMC)
    MJM
    thanks for the advice! he has a copy of the medical records and has been meeting with them about disability, but you know how guys are sometimes....... never ask the right questions.

so i think that answered #4 - with a no. which is fine, i was just curious.

oh but i thought of another question - if you are a "diabled veteran" are you allowed to shop on base etc.?
  5. Senior Member

Has he gone to a separation seminar yet? My DH just retired and he had to go to this 3 day brief.

Is he getting out or his he getting medically retired?
    MJM
    He is getting out - aka not reenlisting (not a medical discharge). They went to a separation class, but he said that it wasn't well organized and he either doesn't remember or whatever my above questions. I'm sure they covered it and he wasn't paying attention. I was hoping some of you ladies with experience could help me out
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Question time!!

1) Knee injury and hearing loss - Will this constitute "disability"?maybe- he will need to apply for a disability rating from the VA, and they will determine if will get anything and what he will get

2) When do you find out about disability? Before his contract is up (before February) or after? If after, how long after?you will not find out before- this has nothing to do with the military and the VA will handle everything

3) If he does get disability, does that mean that he retains his military healthcare?
    he will be elegible regardless for VA healthcare- but not tricare How does the whole healthcare thing work when you get out of the military disability or not?it stops the day he ETSes.

4) Hypothetically he is ruled to be partially disabled and gets to keep healthcare (since I THINK that's how it works). When we get married, can i go onto his healthcare plan or no? NO you will not get Tricare at all and will not beable to use the VA hosp. or clinics since you are not a veteran.

5) I heard we get BAH while he is on terminal leave. Will he get it for Michigan, where his records state he lives, or SoCal? he will get BAH for the DUTY station until he he Officially ETSes. since he will still be technically still attached to the last PDS. if you are not married before he goes on terminal leave I strongly suggest NOT trying to get BAH at the marreid rate- - it will take 4-8 weeks for it too even kick in and I think it would cuase a huge paperwork mess so close to him getting out

6) Moving - I hear they help you move home when you get out? He does still need to move stuff home to Michigan and he actually will be picking stuff up in Michigan and moving it out here. How does this whole thing work? yes they will pay to ship his stuff to his HOR- or equal the distance - anything over the distance will cost you and cost you big time-
    last rate quote I heard was 1.25 a pound., so he does not have to have it shipped to MI- and can have it shipped anywhere-

HTH's
    MJM
    it helps tremendously! thank you!!!