Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recruiter wives!

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Recruiter wives!

Advertisements
    Can any of you help answer these questions? I am looking for, how do I say... a second opinion.

My hubby is trying to be an IS in the Selected Reserves. This consists of obtaining a Top Secret clearance (he currently has Secret). He might not get this, because he does have some history, although it's all 8 years ago or longer. His recruiter is telling him that a) if he does not make it, he can not join the Reserves at all and b) that not getting this clearance could prevent him from joining other parts of the military (AF Reserves, NG, etc).

Is there any truth to this? Why can't he just take another job WITHOUT a Top Secret clearance?

Also, do recruiters have minimum "recruiting" numbers they need to meet? Or have an obligation to fill certain rates? We feel like his recruiters is pushing him to do a rate that a) has nothing to do with his career path b) is not something he is interested in and c) is one of the top-rated deployable rates. I KNOW that he may have to deploy after the two years are up, but he is not interested in being a medic or a SeaBee. IS would be GREAT for his career path and the field he is and we feel it is worth it to push on.

Any advice, helps, tips, suggestions, facts you can offer up?

TIA!
  2. Senior Member
    I think you are being fed a bunch of BS!!! The Recruiters have a limited amount of quotas for jobs in the Reserves. The forward their paperwork up to their bosses for approval. Your options aren't join this rating or joint join at all. I would seriously raise the BS Flag.

Send me a message on FB and I will give you the name of a good recruiter in SOCAL.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Thanks Mr. Cabo. I feel like it's a load of shit too, but everything is so different in the Reserves it seems. I feel like this guy is trying to fill a certain position because HE needs to. But the hubs works for a major defense company now, so a Top Secret clearance and experience with IS would only boost his chances for career progression there. I'll send you a message, thanks again!
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trey View Post
    Thanks Mr. Cabo. I feel like it's a load of **** too, but everything is so different in the Reserves it seems. I feel like this guy is trying to fill a certain position because HE needs to. But the hubs works for a major defense company now, so a Top Secret clearance and experience with IS would only boost his chances for career progression there. I'll send you a message, thanks again!
    Did you get a hold of the contact I sent you?
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    So this is totally NOT true and I'm unsure what agenda his current recruiter has, but needless to say, we are working with another one asap.

Thanks Rex!
  6. waiting
    waiting
    Considering enlistment to the military as a whole is very high I do not understand why recruiters are not more honest on somethings. For the individual enlisting and their families, incorrect answers can have a huge impact on a family. That makes me angry. I'm glad you found answers you were looking for from another source.
  7. I Can See Clearly Now....The S**T Is Gone
    I Can See Clearly Now....The S**T Is Gone
    ok ok I'll try to answer as best as I can right now...Right now the Navy does have specific billets they are trying to fill bc all the general run of the mill jobs (bm,cs etc) are all FULL....So the recruiters are being pushed to get higher quality people to fill the harder to fill billets...IS being one of them...CTR, IT, ETC....So right now it is possible that him not being able to get top secret could be a problem since he already was an IS (right?) As for other branches I don't know....

Hope I helped
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Why is IS a hard job to fill? Because people don't pass the background checks? I would have thought that it would be a job that people wanted to do.

Ryan was a stellar sailor, with the exception of his first 1.5 years of service (8years ago) when he did get in trouble with the law. But, that was a long time ago, and I would hope that the people doing the background check would take that into consideration. We also have debt too, but we have always paid on time and have a lot of collateral (three cars, education, home, savings, etc.).

He was formerly a Fire Controlman (FC) with a Secret clearance as Active Duty, but he is now trying to do Navy Selected Reserves as an IS with a top secret clearance. IS is appealing not only because it would be good for his civilian career, but also because it comes with a bonus and because he can do the schooling on drill weekends out of San Diego, which means it won't disrupt his current new job.
  9. Senior Member
    I can't answer many of your questions but I can tell you recruiters don't want much to do with prior service. They don't get credit for anything they do with them. Essentially prior service is a waste of their time. We are having a heck of a time dealing with recruiters who don't/wont give John the time of day. We're going on close to two years of John trying to get back to AD.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather View Post
    I can't answer many of your questions but I can tell you recruiters don't want much to do with prior service. They don't get credit for anything they do with them. Essentially prior service is a waste of their time. We are having a heck of a time dealing with recruiters who don't/wont give John the time of day. We're going on close to two years of John trying to get back to AD.
    WHAT? Why? Wasn't he an FC or ET too? What rate is he trying to do? Have you tried calling and talking to a different recruiter?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast