Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retiring in a month and only ONE lead on a job???

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Retiring in a month and only ONE lead on a job???

Advertisements
    I'm scared. I know he is too. He's about to retire after 20 years in the Marine Corps, and although he applies to jobs daily, he's only gotten 2 responses, and one of them though he had qualifications he didn't, so it was a bust. The other one was working in a desert in the boonies where he just did NOT want to go, not to mention he's got physical therapy for a recent condition that he wouldn't be able to complete if he had to move that far away. That's not to say he isn't willing to relocate, but his terms on that are 'relocation to a place where my SO can also get a good job' (so something NOT in the desert since there aren't many accounting jobs in the sand....) Can anyone suggest agencies or companies that he can go to? He's gone through TAP/TAMPS and he's got the resources, and he's utilized those resources, but it's not bearing fruit. He would LOVE to become a sheriff but the local department isn't currently hiring, but he'd be willing to move to an area that is.... he just needs contact info and to get a resume/application out to them.....

He's SCARED right now, and it's killing me that I can't fix this, or even help. I'm doing everything I can to give him more tools since the job market currently SUCKS. Any help or suggestions you can offer would be GREATLY appreciated.

(PS. I've already given him a few of the sites I found in threads on here, so it's not like I didn't read through here first....)

Yes, this IS my siggy.
  2. Senior Member
    Does he have a degree? If so I can put him in contact with my good friend who is the lead military recruiter for the Secret Service.
  3. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    USAjobs, DonCharts, DIA. I know it's a scary time. I was scared too. I hope he has set aside at least 3 months worth of income (at a minimum). He can apply for unemployment if he doesn't get anything right away. He needs to network with people he has contact with. Email his resume out to all the friends he can think of (especially those who work at large commands that employ contractors or have civilian employees. I don't know what his skill set is but he could look at a headhunter. Does he have a clearance? Clearancejobs.com is a great resource. You just have to flood the market with your name and keep going. This is a hard time to retire or separate from the service.

If you can tell me where you want to settle and what his qualifications are I might be able to direct you a little better.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  4. Veteran; Veteran's Wife, Mom and Avon Lady!
    Veteran; Veteran's Wife, Mom and Avon Lady!
    Blog Entries

We retired last year and DH sent out over 200 resumes. He was so frustrated. He started sending them out as soon as he dropped his papers, and was still looking when he had his retirement ceremony in June. He interviewed with a whopping 3 companies before he was offered the job he has now.

His advice, focus on your skills, not just a particular field. He submitted for management jobs because of his rank and education and the fact he had taken the Six Sigma courses that alot of companies are looking at. He is now running a grain elevator for Cargill and we are living in a small town in Illinois. Its a great job that he never expected to be in. The company takes great care of us and even paid for some of our moving expenses (like shipping on my daughter's car since the military wouldn't pay for us to transport 3 cars and a motorcycle). We didn't move "home" or look strictly in an area near both families (San Antonio and Michigan) because we wanted more options. Companies were more excited by the fact that we were willing to go where the job was.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    No, no college, but it's one of his options if nothing else pans out, to use the new GI bill and he'll at least get some living expenses covered.

He can't apply for unemployment because he'll be receiving retirement pay, at least that was what they told him in his TAP/TAMPS class.

He's networked with everyone he knows so far. He's been stationed out here in CA most of his 20 years, and those who were in other locations have since moved on and he's lost contact.

So far as I know he has no security clearances. He's applied at a few agencies including a couple headhunters that focus on his particular type of skill set. He was doing Life Support Equipment work for a few years. I'm really not sure what else he did before I met him to be honest. I think mostly Life Support.

He's applied for several different positions outside of our area because we're 100% willing to relocate anywhere on the condition that wherever it is would be conducive to my finding an accounting job there as well. He's tailored his resume to suit several different types of jobs, from management, to financial analysts, to QA, to manufacturing.

Solstice, I'll pass along the sites you mentioned.

Thanks you guys. I really appreciate the responses!

Yes, this IS my siggy.
  6. Veteran; Veteran's Wife, Mom and Avon Lady!
    Veteran; Veteran's Wife, Mom and Avon Lady!
    Blog Entries

patience is a PLUS at this stage. DH would get so angry because he knew he could do most of the jobs he applied for in his sleep and wouldn't even get a call back. But it all paid off in the end.

Hang in there! Sending positive job vibes your way!!
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Last edited by *skittles*; 01-05-2010 at 12:00 PM.
  8. Regular Member
    We are also in the job hunting position.
    Good luck and i hope he hears something soon. DH has heard NOTHING, even after his taps class.
    I'm Sue!
  9. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    Sorry I have no advice but I understand what you're going through. My DH is getting out in December and he's gotten 2 job offers so far which we're still looking into. This is a tough time to find jobs so I wish you both lots of luck.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Thanks guys! His patience and persistence paid off! And it didn't even come from any of his applications but from his resume posted on Monster. It's a contract job in Afghanistan and it's a pretty penny in the bank, doing EXACTLY what he did in the Corps. THERE IS HOPE! We may be in the same boat a year from now, but at least the job market should be a little better..... but in the meantime, he's got a great contract job that's going to make him happy (though I may worry more with this than any other job....)

A weight is lifted, but filled with a shadow of worry. But like someone else reminded me, he's got 20 years of experience doing this, he's going to be fine. Thanks for the support, suggestions, and most of all, the reminder to be patient.

Yes, this IS my siggy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast