Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of your Veterans....

1. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Blog Entries

Question How many of your Veterans....

Advertisements
    got out or switched from AD and then decided to go back in?

I'm curious because DH's enlistment is officially up in early 2012. So, this is our last tour. He wants to use the GI Bill and get his BSN and become a trauma nurse. I've gathered info on each of the branches nursing programs and recommended he look into info for going to Officer. He'll have just under 9.5 years in by the time this tour is up and I want him to have all of his options before he makes the ultimate choice to stay in or get out.

The choice is his to make but I can't help but wonder if he'll get out and then decide to go back in just because this is the life he's known for almost 6.5 years right now.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed

My DH was a Marine, got out, went to school, and came back in the Navy.

If you have any questions about Navy Nurse Corps officer programs feel free to PM me. I am puttimg all my packages together right now!
  3. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by epete6501 View Post
    My DH was a Marine, got out, went to school, and came back in the Navy.

If you have any questions about Navy Nurse Corps officer programs feel free to PM me. I am puttimg all my packages together right now!
    I just have 2 small questions pertaining to Navy Nurse Corps but I want to post it just in case others have other info too.

Do you know if Army can switch to Navy Nurse Corps?

Do you know if they'll waive the 6-year (or whatever the # is) commitment if someone has already served at least 6 years AD?

I know DH would sign up if the commitment was lower. Say 2 years. He would go full 20 to retirement no questions asked. Its the word "commitment" and "contract" that keeps him from wanting to put a packet together. He doesn't want to feel stuck like he does right now and if he had lower commitment to make at any given time, he'd be more apt to signing on the line.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed

I'm pretty sure Army can switch to Navy. Not 100% sure though.

As far as I know the minimun obligation is 6 years if you are applying to a commission pregram. If he is getting out then going officer I think it is still 4 years. The 2 programs I would look at are MECP and STA-21.
  5. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Blog Entries
    Oh goodness. I didn't realize there are different programs. I thought there was just the Navy Nurse Corps and that's it. Guess I better help him look into it more deeply. Thanks for the info!!
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed

They are both Nurse Corps programs, just different programs to get there. MECP is what I am applying for. You basically have to pay for school (can use GI Bill) but get paid while you are going to school. I will probably look more into STA-21 too, I just know more about the first.
  7. Senior Member
    Dh got out of the Marines last year and was wanting to switch to the Air Force, sadly it didn't work out, they were only taking prior Air Force so he has decided he is going back into the Marines instead, he did air traffic control and will be going back in as ATC but he is hoping to do a lat move and become a mechanic instead. He plans on being a lifer.
    Mommy's Little Monkey Mommy's Little Princess
  8. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Blog Entries
    I looked into both programs and AECP a bit just now. The AECP only allows him to go to school for 2 years and he has to be done with the program in that time frame. He would definitely need the 4 years because he's only taking 1 or 2 GE classes right now every couple of months. I guess the only way to really know what his options are would be to just go chat with a recruiter together. There are 2 things I know. He'd only go Navy, he hates being in the Army. He wants to do trauma/ER care.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    My dh switched from the Navy to the Army. Its much easier to go blue to green, but I don't think its impossible to switch from green to blue. He was commissioned in the Army, and is doing the degree completion program. Maybe your husband can look into that? Its an awesome program!!
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Make sure when you do go, talk to an officer recruiter. I wish I would have done that. I was almost done woth my BSN, but talked to an enlisted recruiter. 5 years later I am just now getting my officer package together. Gah...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast