Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: MEPS-Navy

1. PurpleReign
    PurpleReign

Help MEPS-Navy

Advertisements
    Does anyone know anything about what a job consists of working with MEPS? My DH is considering going from an AZ to a MEPS position and I want to know want to know what kind of changes this will mean for our family.
    Got an Angel watchin' over me, keepin' me from all hurt harm and danger...

-The Clark Sisters
  2. Senior Member
    I am kind of confused myself. Is he in the AZ Rating and PCSing to a MEPS Station?
  3. PurpleReign
    PurpleReign

Quote Originally Posted by NC@SEA View Post
    I am kind of confused myself. Is he in the AZ Rating and PCSing to a MEPS Station?
    He is an AZ and is considering changing his job to specialty work and working at a MEPS station. Did I say it right? I'm not trying to make it confusing.
    Got an Angel watchin' over me, keepin' me from all hurt harm and danger...

-The Clark Sisters
  4. Senior Member
    MEPS doesn't have a "specialty rate" They usually have YN's and PS's who work there along with a couple NC's. He might be filling a special programs billet as an AZ that could be in supply or the enlisted jobs section where they show the new possible recruits what is open.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    MEPS doesn't have a "specialty rate" They usually have YN's and PS's who work there along with a couple NC's. He might be filling a special programs billet as an AZ that could be in supply or the enlisted jobs section where they show the new possible recruits what is open.
    My husband has been stationed at the MEPS 3 times... He was in testing the first time. (FC) (Enlisted) He was an XO for a year, and the testing Officer the last time and he is commissioned. This last time, He had Navy personnel for from different rates and from other branches of service working for him, they were in processing also... fingerprints, background checks, ID's, transportation .... There are liaisons and medical personnel who are Navy at the Meps. He should not have to change rates... a Meps duty is a shore duty for Navy personnel. HTH.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRain View Post
    Does anyone know anything about what a job consists of working with MEPS? My DH is considering going from an AZ to a MEPS position and I want to know want to know what kind of changes this will mean for our family.
    It depends on what you are used to. It's a shore billet.. They usually run 2 shifts... from 5am to 1pm and from 1pm to close... sometimes they stay late. When we have done it, it's been pretty easy compared to sea duty. We got holidays off, and most weekends as they are not open every weekend. But... when each branch has their "end of month" push... it's long hours. Not all branches of the service "end month" the same at the meps. and he may find himself waiting on recruiters depending on what his job is.

There is not much to be involved in as a spouse, no support group. But, they do functions... BBQ's, Christmas party for the kids, and the adults... They have hail and farewell's and meet and greets... lunches and such.

At the meps, there won't be TOO many of one branch there... it's all four branches... so most of your friends will be probably out. And housing is usually non existent unless it's near a base. The one nearest us, is a big Meps... but the nearest base is Army... most of the people we knew from Meps lived out. HTH.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kensington View Post
    My husband has been stationed at the MEPS 3 times... He was in testing the first time. (FC) (Enlisted) He was an XO for a year, and the testing Officer the last time and he is commissioned. This last time, He had Navy personnel for from different rates and from other branches of service working for him, they were in processing also... fingerprints, background checks, ID's, transportation .... There are liaisons and medical personnel who are Navy at the Meps. He should not have to change rates... a Meps duty is a shore duty for Navy personnel. HTH.
    3 times huh. Hopefully he progessed each time. I know there were other rates but I am not totally familiar with all the rates at a MEPS. I just know of 3.

Good info though.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    3 times huh. Hopefully he progessed each time. I know there were other rates but I am not totally familiar with all the rates at a MEPS. I just know of 3.

Good info though.
    He has been in 24 years... He was an e5 the first time, advanced to e6 while there, and made Chief somewhere else... is now a Commissioned Officer Via the LDO program. He was only a chief a year and a half... got picked up for LDO first time... been a Lt. for a while. He has advanced well, I believe. It was actually good for his career... He rewrote the PT Program there, which I believe is implemented nation wide for Meps and earned his first Joint Services Accommodation. Got His Navy Com... while pushing boots in Great lakes. He was the #1 rated Chief/RDC during the time he was there. He is highlighted in a book written about the Navy too... He is doing OK.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kensington View Post
    He has been in 24 years... He was an e5 the first time, advanced to e6 while there, and made Chief somewhere else... is now a Commissioned Officer Via the LDO program. He was only a chief a year and a half... got picked up for LDO first time... been a Lt. for a while. He has advanced well, I believe. It was actually good for his career... He rewrote the PT Program there, which I believe is implemented nation wide for Meps and earned his first Joint Services Accommodation. Got His Navy Com... while pushing boots in Great lakes. He was the #1 rated Chief/RDC during the time he was there. He is highlighted in a book written about the Navy too... He is doing OK.
    That's awesome and yeah you can say he progressed
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    That's awesome and yeah you can say he progressed
    Yep... progressing right back into my arms... He is going to retire this year... Coming back to me for GOOD! I'm so ready!