Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaving the Navy soon, where to start in Charleston SC

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Leaving the Navy soon, where to start in Charleston SC

Advertisements
    CPO 20 years, Sonar Tech Submarines, AAS 2 year degree, Recruiter, Career Counselor, even was a Comptroller. Hopefully these skills will assist in transition. Any ideas, and moving to Charleston SC from HI
  2. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries
    Hey chief, nice to meet you.

Did you or will you go through TAPS? I went through TAPS class and got a resume set up in DOORS. It worked like a charm, had a good job paying good money within 2 months.

There is a naval weapons station at Goose Creek, just outside of Charleston, and there is also NNPTC. I recommend giving a call to the FFSC out there and see if they have any information about finding a job in the area. Would you like me to find the number for you?
    "Wine is proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Hey Thanks. Fleet Family Support Center? A number would be great. A retired friend of mine wants a resume for Trident Tech. But I would prefer to stay around Navy if possible.
    I am going to TAPS around July. My wife and kids are going back before me, to get settled, so I will live in the BEQ.
  4. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries
    Trident Tech isn't a bad place to be, but I definately understand you wanting to stay around navy. FFSC is the Fleet and Family support center. They have a lot of resources available and if memory serves me, they are the organization that administers TAPS. TAPS was less than exciting, but getting the resume set up was the most beneficial part.

Here's the info on the Charlston FFSC:

http://www.militarynewcomers.com/NWS...ources/04.html

Services include Information and Referral, New Parent Support, Personal Financial Management, Deployment Support, Relocation Assistance, Family Employment Readiness, and Transition Assistance Management
    Fleet and Family Support Center
    1005 Jefferson Ave., Buildings 755 & 786
    Goose Creek, SC 29445
    (843) 764-7294/7480 • (DSN) 794-7294/7480
    Fax: 843-764-7492

Good luck!
    "Wine is proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks a bunch and Aloha/Mahalo
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
    CPO 20 years, Sonar Tech Submarines, AAS 2 year degree, Recruiter, Career Counselor, even was a Comptroller. Hopefully these skills will assist in transition. Any ideas, and moving to Charleston SC from HI
    You've got all kinds of possibilities. First place I'd check is SPAWAR- they have CACI/SAIC working there, along with several other contractors. Also, check the Anteon, General Dynamics and Northrop-Grumman websites. If you're up on C4ISR, you're golden. For example: http://www.gdcareers.com/gdchq_jobs/...1&pagestart=35

Put together a good resume. I retired over 11 years ago, husband retired 6 years ago; I'm pretty good at reviewing resumes and I don't mind looking at yours if you think that might help you. Play around on some of the websites and check for buzzwords in their job announcements. It's especially helpful if you already have a clearance.

Feel free to contact me through PM or by reply if you have any other questions I might be able to answer.
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I do have a TS SCI clearance, which is good for 5 more years. I didnt know Northrop and GD were still there. I working with a bunch of Northrup guys here at SDVT-1 right now.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    steve- before sending your family ahead- make sure you follow the JFTR to the letter-

also make sure that YOU can stay at the BEQ-- the navy ( and all 4 other branches) are cracking down on GEO - bach's making them almost impossible in some locations to be approved.

Otherwise good luck!
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    if you do get to stay at the BEQ, they are really nice. i used to have to clean them when i dropped the nuke program. that's about all i can help with though, i was in the area but going through school at the time. good luck though, chief!
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    steve- before sending your family ahead- make sure you follow the JFTR to the letter-

also make sure that YOU can stay at the BEQ-- the navy ( and all 4 other branches) are cracking down on GEO - bach's making them almost impossible in some locations to be approved.

Otherwise good luck!
    I am moving my family myself, so JFTR isn't a concern, and being a GEO Bach is easy here, as I have been working with them already. No worries there.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast