Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TAPS

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

TAPS

Advertisements
    How long is it? How long each day? How long total?

Will he make a resume during it? (He has one, but it needs some cleaning up)

Did your SO have to wear a suit? His info sheet says he needs one and he TOTALLY doesn't have one yet because I thought I had another couple months before the interviews started to get one!
  2. Senior Member

INFO

Quote Originally Posted by Rileysmom View Post

Did your SO have to wear a suit? His info sheet says he needs one and he TOTALLY doesn't have one yet because I thought I had another couple months before the interviews started to get one!
    TAPS is 4 days long and is about 8 hours a day. They go over resumes and start their initial one there. That's why it is recommended to attend twice because at the second time they can review the final product.

The attire is Business Casual. No blue jeans, shorts, tennis shoes, flip flops. Khakis and a button down is good along with a belt.
  3. He's FINALLY Home!!!
    He's FINALLY Home!!!
    I work in the HR department for Stewart & Stevenson and I recruit from the TAPS classes in Corpus Christi. On Fridays, we employers, go in and do presentations and take resumes or give information on how to apply online. As far a suit on this particular day, it would depend on what kind of job the soldier is targeting. For the Diesel Techs we recruit, a suit did not make a difference to me since suits did not correlate with the job. Someone looking for a Management position or higher may want to wear a suit.

DF- "You are a very important person to me and I love you Julie with all my heart, body, and soul. You are the one for me!"
  4. The Cat Whisperer
    The Cat Whisperer
    We both sat through it - it was a huge waste of our time.

I don't know if it's because we were in Japan and we had crappy people doing it - but it honestly didn't even scrape the tip of the iceberg for us.

Life on the outside is hard. Really. We had money saved up, but it wasn't enough. The job market is shit. (Seriously, start apply like 3-6 months before he even gets out.)

It's so hard. But it's worth it (I think).
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Depending on the command they can either wear regular clothes or their uniform. John had to go in his dress or working uniform everyday. He was so pissed

I think the class was either 4 or 5 days long for John. Most days they were there all day. John got A LOT of good info, but read the fine print! They talk a lot of shit up to make it sound good.

They did not make a resume in the class, but they were shown how to translate their military experience and education into regular business speak and use it to their advantage in the "real world".

As far as the business suit goes....I think it's a waste of money. They drill it in their heads that they NEED one, but depending on where he's going to interview, he doesn't! John was hell bent on getting one and I kept deterring him. Dress pants, a button down shirt, and a tie are completely sufficient for job interviews!
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries

If he's looking to go into management-type positions, you'll probably want to start investing in a work wardrobe. He may not need a lot of suits/jackets, but he mighh need some nice button-shirts and ties. That was our biggest expense when we retired; clothing appropriate for work. Heck, even if he's going to be a mechanic or heavy laborer, he may still need jumpsuits/work clothes.

If he has to do a resume, you're more than welcome to run one past me. He can take that in with him and they'll dress it up/change/add/delete wherever they feel necesary. He should probably also have a few sample cover letters.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Thanks for all of the help ladies!!!

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    If he's looking to go into management-type positions, you'll probably want to start investing in a work wardrobe. He may not need a lot of suits/jackets, but he mighh need some nice button-shirts and ties. That was our biggest expense when we retired; clothing appropriate for work. Heck, even if he's going to be a mechanic or heavy laborer, he may still need jumpsuits/work clothes.

If he has to do a resume, you're more than welcome to run one past me. He can take that in with him and they'll dress it up/change/add/delete wherever they feel necesary. He should probably also have a few sample cover letters.
    He is looking to get into management... we bought him a suit because he "needed it" for this last Friday, but they ended up not even interviewing or anything. I was PISSED because we dropped $300 on a full price suit and shoes because we had to get it last minute... whereas this Suzy Smartshopper could have gotten about three suits for that price, including tailoring. FUCK.

But he did learn some valuable stuff and there was also some bullshit too.... he would encouraging them to find any and everything they could to claim as disability and I don't agree with that.

Eelo, I will definitely take you up on that offer. We are working on it right now. He's looking at a variety of jobs.. including management at weapons companies, instructing positions with the DOD, and project management....
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Yeah, it's BS how they try to get them to apply for disability for everything little thing

I know there are people who really NEED that money! There's no reason my husband needs to apply just because he has shitty eye sight (which he had prior to the Navy).

Also, read the fine print when it comes to their benefits!!!
  9. Senior Member
    John didn't make it back from deployment soon enough to attend. I wish he would have been able to. I think it would have benefited both of us.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichelleB View Post
    Yeah, it's BS how they try to get them to apply for disability for everything little thing

I know there are people who really NEED that money! There's no reason my husband needs to apply just because he has shitty eye sight (which he had prior to the Navy).

Also, read the fine print when it comes to their benefits!!!
    Why is it BS, just curious?

IMO everyone who has been in long enough to retire has every right to apply and deserves the right to see what they qualify for benefits wise.

Even if he applies and has a 0 Percent Disability Rating then your family can go to any state school in California for free without having to be Residents in that state.

A 10 Percent Disability Rating qualfies him for free schooling via the VA and then you can use the GI Bill for family once they get that figured out.

I am a firm believer in take what you can get.
    Last edited by NC@SEA; 01-13-2009 at 12:37 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast