Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-Joining the Navy?

1. Rachee03

Re-Joining the Navy?

Advertisements
    So, DB and I have been talking (well, emailing) and he said that hes tired of the Navy, and tired of being away from everyone here, so he might get out, and try out civilian life for a bit, because if he cant get anywhere, he could always join again. So I was wondering what that was like. If he hates the civilian world, can he just join again? Does he have to start right back at square one, or can he pick up where he left off? I dont know if any of you have done this before, but Im kinda confused. Is it that easy to just get out and get back in?
  2. Senior Member
    I'm not sure about the Navy, but I know people who have gotten out of the Army for a few years and then went back in. They got to keep their rank and instead of doing basic they went through the Warrior Transition Courst which is only 4 weeks long.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    DH got out and came back. He is taking the chance of being reduced in rank though. DH got out as an E4 and came back in as an E3.Why doesnt he see if he can cross rate first?
  4. Rachee03
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    Why doesnt he see if he can cross rate first?
    Ill be honest, I really dont know a thing about the military. What does cross rate mean?
  5. Senior Member
    My DH got out for 6 years, and got back in with no reduction of rank and kept his rate. He went through the physical, got sent to some temporary thing then got his orders and went to work. It was pretty easy all the way around for him but I know that isn't always the case. Different things will determine how it would work out for him.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachee03 View Post
    Ill be honest, I really dont know a thing about the military. What does cross rate mean?

Sometimes guys can just switch their rate and do a different job. Is it the Navy he hates in general or the job he does b/c a change of job might help.

that said though, there are some stipulations to crossrating, not everyone can do it. Factors in it vary.

Same with just coming right back in if he's unhappy after he's out. Just depends on the needs of the navy at the time. I know when they are in a "drawdown" then chances are he won't be able to just come back in.

As with everything military - it just all depends.

Good luck on your decisions.
  7. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    It depends on his current rate, sometimes you lose rank.. also it's not like you can just come back in after awhile, it takes some time and it's harder to come back in as prior service than when he first joined.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

8. Senior Member
    My hubby went through hell and back trying to get back into the service... it was a nigthmare. The crazy thing was that he was in the Reserves.
    But alls well that ends well.
    It can be done, but I just would not bank on it.
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde
  9. Rachee03
    Thanks ladies. Its not his job he hates...he actually LOVES it (ait traffic control). So hes going to look for a job out here, closer to our families. Really, the factor of him re-joining he says, is that if we cant make it financially or, if he just misses it (but I doubt he will). But I dont see why we couldnt make it, really. But I guess you never know what will happen down the road. Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.
    I guess we have a lot to think about now...
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    John was out for 2 years. In that amount of time he got a DUI, met me, got me pg, married me, and then moved us from OH. to MD. He couldn't get a good job to save his life in our hometown. He made good money in MD. but it was really tight. His entire month salary was less than 1 paycheck now. He tried to get promoted but they drug their feet too long deciding on it. We found out a few days before we left to move Breanna and I back to OH. while he was going to be in VA. and then San Diego that they were going to give him the promotion (it would have been $10 more an hour and a manager position). But it was too late at that point. He was an E-5 when he got out and was knocked down to E-4. We did get a bonus though and when we got it he was deployed so we got it tax free. He re-enlisted in July 2001 and in July 2004 he was capped to first so them knocking him down in rank really hasn't hindered him any.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast